Clothesline Posts

Now that I’m moved into the house in Perrysville, my dad and I have been working on a few things. We have taken out some things that we didn’t like, we have tried to fix the lid on the washing machine, and we have been working on getting the office ready to use. We’re really not even close to getting everything done that we would like. However, last night, while at home by myself, I started to work on another project that I would like to complete in the near future. I began to dig up the old clothesline that is in the back yard. The line is really long, nearly stretching across half of the back yard. The main reason I am taking the line out is because I nearly choke myself every time I run the lawn mower underneath it, and it’s rather rusty.

Nevertheless, last night I grabbed a shovel out of the garage and began digging up the first post. Breaking through tree roots and digging up the many rocks that are in the dirt were tough enough, but the brick and concrete that are under the ground are making this project incredibly difficult. I will have to go home today and continue my work on the first post today because I was unable to accomplish my goal of getting one post dug up last night.

When I started digging up that post last night, the only thing I could see was dirt surrounding that post. Although I assumed there might be concrete at some point securing the post into the ground, I was still very uncertain. Then, as soon as I began digging, I found some things that I didn’t expect to hit. All to often things in life are like this. We begin doing something that on the surface seems rather simple and an easy job, but as we get deeper into the project, we see more and more problems and troubles that can keep us from completing our initial goal of the project.

I think our Christian walk is a lot like a big project. We decide one day that we are going to dedicate ourselves to live a life that is honoring to Christ. When we begin to work on that big project we hit things along our path that slow us down, things that Satan is trying to use to prevent us from accomplishing our goal. It is at this point in our project that we have to make a decision. Are we going to let the little distractions that Satan throws in our lives keep us from accomplishing the goal that we set out for in the beginning? Are we going to let the fear of uncertainty of what else will get in the way in the future beat us into giving up?

We should all realize that distractions in our faith will come, but Christ is always with us. He is always loving us and giving us the way through the distraction to continue to live our lives in a way that is honoring to Him.

Comments