Don't Worry, Be Happy. Don't Worry, Be Happy Now!

The Jr. High students went to a concert a few weeks ago in Danville. We went over to St. James United Methodist Church for a free concert paid for by St. James Church. We expected a long line to get in to the concert. After all, the band that was playing, Remedy Drive, is fairly well known. The only thing that St. James Church asked for as an entry fee was a donation to their food pantry. The intention for them was to have a food drive and raise money to in turn help the hungry people of Danville.

Throughout the day I wondered whether or not we should send someone over to get in line for the concert because we weren’t going to be able to arrive real early. Then I received a phone call from a parent. The parent called to let me know that there was a line already going down the street. I wouldn’t have thought much of it, but it was only 4:00 o’clock and the concert didn’t start until 8:00! Then I really began to worry. I was afraid we wouldn’t even be able to get in. I had already told all the Jr. Highers that we were going to a concert. What was I going to do if we went and couldn’t get in? I was slightly panicky.

Nevertheless, I told all the students to make sure they had their coats because we might have to stand in line for a while, and then we loaded up our vehicles and headed over to the concert. The whole way over I had different scenarios running through my mind, and I was going over how I would handle them. What if it was so crowded we couldn’t get in the building, would we just stand outside and listen?

Upon arrival at St. James, we saw the line down the street. However, it wasn’t quite as long as I thought it would be. I was incredibly relieved at this point. But then we went to get in line and my heart broke. It was a scenario that I had not considered.

The line down the street wasn’t for the concert; it was for the food pantry. The line to get in to the concert was nonexistent. We were able to walk right in. My perspective on worry changed that night.

Matthew 6:34 - “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Comments

kuras1017 said…
Loved this Robbie. Can really put things in perspective. Brett
Rob said…
Thanks Brett. It definitely did for me.